There are some that say mobile is the greatest shift in human communication since the beginning of the internet. Everyone else probably just hasn’t read this post yet.
Mobile, the pretty new girl in school, is continuing to catch the attention of brands who want to enhance their relationships with their customers through this increasingly prevalent touchpoint. The mobile growth trends show you why. Take a look at these mobile trends from our upcoming webinar on mobile marketing to truly grasp the context of how quickly mobile is growing in comparison to other mediums.
The popular Draw Something App was recently acquired by Zynga, and it took just 50 days for it to reach 50 million downloads. Compare that to the 38 years it took for radio to reach 50 million people.
Still not convinced? Then check out these mobile growth trends below and let us know which one is most compelling for you in the comments.
1) 87% of American adults own a cell phone. (Source: Pew Research Center) Tweet this stat!
2) 51% of mobile traffic is sent from mobile video. (Source: Cisco) Tweet this stat!
3) 29% of Americans say their phone is the first and last thing they look at every day. (Source: Qualcomm) Tweet this stat!
4) 44% of cell phone users have slept with their cell phone by their side so they didn’t miss a notification. (Source: Pew Research Center) Tweet this stat!
5) The average age for a person’s first cell phone is now 13. (Source: Qualcomm) Tweet this stat!
6) 31% of adults own a tablet device. (Source: Pew Research Center) Tweet this stat!
7) 15% of U.S. mobile internet time is spent on social networking sites. (Source: Experian) Tweet this stat!
8) 60% of users access Twitter through mobile. (Source: Twitter) Tweet this stat!
9) On LinkedIn, there are 45 million people searches a month. (Source: LinkedIn) Tweet this stat!
10) Mobile advertising is 30% of Facebook’s ad revenue. (Source: Facebook) Tweet this stat!
11) 41% of people have used a mobile device to browse for a product after seeing it in a show or advertisement. (Source: eDigitalResearch) Tweet this stat!
12) Mobile accounted for 16.3% percent of all online Black Friday sales in 2012. (Source: IBM) Tweet this stat!
13) 53% of shoppers compare in-store prices to online prices while shopping. (Source: Google) Tweet this stat!
14) 36% of shoppers search for other store locations on their phones while shopping in store. (Source: Google) Tweet this stat!
15) It’s estimated that 1 in 5 smartphones worldwide will be NFC enabled by 2014. (Source: Juniper Research) Tweet this stat!
16) The mobile payment industry is forecasted to account for as much as $1 trillion in global transactions by 2015. (Source: Heavy Reading Networks Insider) Tweet this stat!
17) 44% of smartphone owners in the US say they are interested in making in-person payments with their devices. (Source: Harris Interactive (pdf) ) Tweet this stat!
18) 61% of US consumers believe that smartphone payments will eventually replace credit card payments for most purchases at stores. (Source: Harris Interactive (pdf) ) Tweet this stat!
Mobile Content Consumption
19) 80% of smartphone owners and 81% of tablet owners use their devices in front of the television. (Source: eDigitalResearch) Tweet this stat!
20) 23% of Americans now get news on a combination of at least two devices–a desktop/laptop computer and smartphone, a computer and a tablet, a tablet and a smartphone, or on all three. (Source: Pew Research Center) Tweet this stat!
Which statistic is most compelling to you? Let us know in the comments!