Report finds that 23% of apps are only used once and 64% of users have churned after one month
BOSTON, March 13, 2017: Localytics, the leading mobile engagement platform, today announced the third edition of its vertical industry benchmark reports, focused on the second half of 2016. The reports measure how apps in the Media & Entertainment, Retail & eCommerce, Social, Travel & Lifestyle and Business & Technology industries performed when it comes to app user engagement and retention. Localytics also rolls up all of the data to show the average combined metrics across all of the industries.
“There is so much competition when it comes to winning the loyalty of today’s fickle app users,” said Josh Todd, chief marketing officer at Localytics. “It can be challenging for companies to know how their app is stacking up. Our hope is that these vertical benchmarks help companies compare the effectiveness of their app with others in their industry and understand where they are seeing success and where they might need to improve in order to win and retain more users.”
Notable findings from the reports include:
- When looking across all five vertical industries, average monthly user engagement remained largely flat as compared to the first half of 2016.
- Average monthly app launches hovered close to 14 during the second half of 2016 (as compared to 13.4 in the first half).
- Average monthly session length was 4.80 minutes (versus 4.96 previously).
- Average monthly time in app was 66.14 minutes (versus 66.46 in the first half).
- 23% of apps across all verticals were only used once, and 64% of users had churned after only one month.
- Apps in the Social and Media & Entertainment industries saw the most user engagement in the second half of 2016. Social apps saw significantly higher amounts of app launches per month (20.28), while Media & Entertainment apps saw the highest average session length (7.08 minutes per month) and highest average time in app (103.16 minutes per month).
- Business & Technology and Travel & Lifestyle apps also displayed solid engagement, with both categories seeing an average of 13.23 app launches per month.
- Retail & eCommerce apps trailed behind slightly on the engagement front, with an average of 10.92 launches per month, an average session length of 3.52 minutes and an average time in app of 38.46 minutes per month.
- On the retention front, Retail & eCommerce and Travel & Lifestyle apps performed well, with 41% of app users still using the apps one month after downloading it as compared to only 33% of Social app users.
Localytics compiled this data from more than 2.7 billion devices and 37,000 apps mobile and web apps. For this study, Localytics looked at apps across both iOS and Android. The timeframe for this data was July 1 – December 31, 2016.